Skip to main content

Next things next


So I've been very quiet here about what happened last Monday morning, which was when librarian Kate O'Dell called from ALA at dawn to tell me that she and her gorgeous committee had awarded the John Newbery Medal to WHEN YOU REACH ME.

I've been quiet for a few reasons:

First, I've been running around talking about it all week. Lots of interviews, and meetings, and even a radio show where I got to wear big fat cool headphones and talk into a microphone the size of my head. So part of me is just talked out and guessing that people are sick of me.

Second, I'm leaving for my first-ever book tour on Sunday, which means a lot of getting ready and setting things up so that the kids get fed while I'm gone.

(Note: A lot of the tour will be visits to schools, but I'm also doing at least one public bookstore-or-library event in each city. For the exciting details, see www.whenyoureachme.com).

Third, I'm so full of this paralyzing joy that I can't seem to accomplish things in the normal way. I assume that I will eventually pull myself together. Until then, just think of me smiling. Inarticulate and disorganized, but smiling.


Comments

Cynthia Oakes said…
This is from the Lab School 5th grade classes (vis a vis the library). We are SOOOOOO excited you are coming to our school a week from Thursday and we adored your book.
Molly O'Neill said…
What a radiant post. Thanks for attempting to give words and images to your well-earned joy so the rest of us can bask in it a bit, too.
Anonymous said…
smiling is good. Congratulations on a well-deserved award.
My 12-year-old just HAPPENED upon your book a few months ago and said 'Mom, this is the best book I've ever read, you have to read it." I told him: maybe it'll win the Newbery Award! And it did. YOU DID. Wonderful, marvelous, happy congratulations! Enjoy every millisecond of your well-earned glory and keep on writing!
Love that telephone image. Wish I could have heard your response.

Congratulations again! Here's wishing you lots of energy for the book tour and school visits.
Rebecca Stead said…
Cynthia and the Lab School kids, I can't wait - get your questions ready !!

Molly, Professornana, and Julie - oh, thank you!! (and a BIG thank you to your son, Julie!)

Joyce, I was too shocked to speak much during "the call." I remember trying to say something, and then Katie O'Dell's telling me, "it's okay, you don't have to talk . . ."
Esther said…
This honor is well deserved. I just wanted to to let you know just how much I loved your novel. I'm reading it to my 10 and 13 year olds and they are loving it too. My 10 year old has all kinds of theories for who "you" is. We are enjoying all of our discussions and we haven't really gotten to the meaty ones yet. Last night, after we finished our reading, they started to fight over who would get to keep reading it in bed. Of course I wouldn't let either of them, because I want to stretch it out a bit so we can discover all the twists together.

Thanks for writing a book that will have us discussing and thinking about lots of things for a long time.
Toni said…
I got your book in my monthly book order at school (I'm a 4th grade teacher). I picked it up and couldn't put it down. From the moment I realized that Miranda's book was MY book I knew that I would love it (and that the author felt about Madeline L'Engle as I did). Your book now sits on my shelf next to my own battered, dog-eared copy of A Wrinkle in Time. Best of luck - I hope you come to the Rochester NY area so I can get my first addition hard-covered signed.
TS